Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Operation Christmas Child


I remember seeing a video years ago about Operation Christmas Child and seeing a group of kids screaming with joy as they unpacked their shoe boxes. In these boxes were simple things like a small doll, or washcloth or a game of jacks or a yo yo, but to them it meant everything.

I've always had it in the back of my mind as a project that I would like to do and this year is the perfect year to do it with Busy Bee.

We started around back to school time gathering school supplies on clearance (they are a BIG hit, according to Samaritan's Purse) and have added to our stash with stickers, small toys, hard candy, hygiene items, clothing etc. We now have enough stuff that I think that we will have to pack two or three boxes.

You can learn more about Operation Christmas Child here. Be sure to check out ideas for what to include in your box.

Samaritan's Purse asks that you donate $7 per box for administrative/shipping costs and if you do it online you can use their new tracking system to "follow your box." If your Busy Bees might be interested in hearing back from your Operation Christmas Child, be sure to include a self addressed stamped envelope and notecard. You just might hear back from your recipient.

The last step: check here for drop-off locations. (Or if you know me IRL, let me know and I can take yours along with ours) :)

I hope that you will join us in packing a box! I mentioned this to a friend of mine and her kids packed a box in no time with new items from their linen closet, pantry and "gift" stash. She said that it was a lesson learned that things that they weren't even using or had as "extras" could mean a brighter Christmas for a child halfway around the world.

1 comment:

  1. I'm headed over to my sister's on Sunday to partipate in this! Such a great idea to spread the word on your blog :)

    www.doylesdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete